Sunday, August 10, 2008

Watching the Olympics

I am not an athlete. Anyone who knows me will agree with that. It's not that I haven't tried. I took swimming lessons as a child - but I can't swim. I'm what's known as a sinker - I once had to be pulled from the bottom of a pool with a big pole. Softball's not my thing either - I automatically close my eyes when a ball is thrown at me. Seems a logical response to me. In high school our gym class used the trampoline but that didn't work too well as I had to remove my glasses. Virtually blind and unable to see the edge, the last thing I wanted to do was jump up in the air. Golf takes hours - I really don't like to be outside that long. And tennis? Hmm...it's that tricky hand/eye coordination thing that stood in my way. But tonight watching the Olympics I thought maybe gymnastics was something I should have pursued. I can run. I can jump. Those uneven bars might have been a challenge but with practice, who knows. Then it dawned on me. The biggest obstacle (literally) to a future in gymnastics are my ears. Every girl on every team I watched had a ponytail. Is this a prerequisite? Let's check the rules because there is no way I could present my ears in public. But I will keep watching the Olympics and that can sometimes be as hard as the doing. I root for everyone regardless of country. I cheer when they excel and cry when they fall. Yes, I hope the Americans do well but everyone there right now worked hard, sacrificed much, and has such great looking ears.

No comments: