Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Let's be social

In gentler times, you and I would linger over tea and discuss the merits of great literature. Today, we make a list of what we're reading and post it for the world - or at least for your GoodReads friends - to see. Yes, I can review the books I list and star them. So can you. And you can leave me a comment which I can read and then comment back to you. It could take us a year to finish "discussing" one book.
I do like the feature at GoodReads where I can keep an inventory of the books I want to read. But I've always done this - on paper - and that has served me well for many, many years. And before you snicker at that antiquated method, do know that I pay bills online versus check writing/mailing. Some things do work better with the newest technology. But some things, you will have to agree, work better the old fashioned way. Take making a doctor's appointment. Back in the day, it worked this way: "The doctor wants to see you in about 6 weeks" - the receptionist turns the pages in her big book and offers me different days and times because she can see the "big picture" at a glance. By computer it works this way: "Let's see, 6 weeks from now it's May 12th (type type type) - how about 9:30am?" I reply, sorry, I work that day. (Type, type, type) She suggests May 14th at 2pm. Sorry, that's my tap dance lesson. We ping and pong until finally we find a mutually acceptable time. Progress? Definitely not.

Social media networking at the library? Maybe a GBPL version of GoodReads for kids? good read-aloud lists for teachers? tips on XBox games for teens? Hmmm...I'll come up with more. Check out my GoodReads too - I am Kathryn in South Elgin or use my gailborden.info address. Leave a comment, I'll get back to you.

No comments: