Tuesday, June 10, 2008

bookmarks vs bookmarking

Are you ever standing in line at Borders or Barnes and Nobles waiting to pay and notice racks of bookmarks? Often they are made of leather, have initials or famous quotes on them, or perhaps rhinestones and tassles. Who buys those? And who uses them? A scrap of paper works just as well and you can also use it to jot down a note to yourself. Of course I promptly lose that note but maybe you're more careful. I imagine someone must buy them or the store wouldn't stock them. Perhaps on Christmas Eve you realize great, great Auntie Dolores is not deceased after all and is coming to dinner with the family. So you run to the bookstore, grab a bookmark with an embossed D on it and hope doddering old Auntie Dolores believes you spent weeks shopping for such a personal gift. Once I did buy a package of bookmark pens -flat as pancakes that can hang on a page. I was all excited till I realized that I still needed that scrap of paper if I was going to use that flat pen while reading my book.

All the above to get to the my latest task - Social Bookmarking. I found librarybytes.com and added it to the Gail Borden Learns bookmarks in del.icio.us. I used the description "news about libraries and new technologies" and the tag gailbordenlearns. Did find useful stuff all over - 100 Free Library 2.0 Webinars and Tutorials...but also some scary photos of young adult librarians posing in costumes and with books to entice teens to join their summer reading program. (Is this behavior taught in library school?) Lots of libraries sharing program ideas is great and is what would bring me back to learn more.

No comments: