Tuesday, May 27, 2008

I am IM

Being an AOL user for many years, I instant message all the time - most often to my younger daughter. Sometimes I think she likes this form of communication with me the best because she is secretly im'ing several other people at the same time. Efficient use of her time or easiest way to cross off "call Mom" on her to do list?
The worst people to im are those who are slow typers. I im'd a friend once and her husband was on the computer and he replied "hi" to my message....I continued on and then finally the reply, "this is Ed" I chatted and asked where his wife was, added some cheery comments and nothing...nothing...so I logged off and seriously considered calling 911 or a filing a missing persons report. He later accused me of "hanging up" on him but hey, it's called instant messaging for a reason so I had to move on.

I im'd two libraries - the Hackley Public Library in MI - supposedly someone was online but no one ever answered me - maybe Ed is working there now? But I had better luck at the Livermore Public Library in CA. I was promptly answered. I asked approximately how many im reference questions do they receive in a day. She said around three after she averaged the month of May so far. The most in one day was 10. I asked if she felt their patrons were aware of this feature on their website and she said it is well publicized. I think im'ing for answers to quick reference questions is great. It would be great for a lot of businesses to offer this too - just think of the time we'd save not pressing one for this and three for that and never getting to a human even after playing their evil little games.

No comments: